It is that time of year again when the weather starts getting colder and many people start firing up their furnaces. Here are a few important things to do and be aware of before you use your furnaces:
- Be sure to have your furnace inspected to make sure it is in good working order.
- Replace furnace filters on a regular basis, approximately every three months.
- Be sure all controls and emergency shutoffs are in proper working condition.
- Always leave repairs to qualified specialists.
- Inspect the walls and ceiling near the furnace and along the chimney line. If the wall is hot or discolored, get it inspected and fixed immediately.
- Make sure all flue pipes are well supported and free of holes or cracks. If you see soot around seams, this may indicate a leak.
- Keep the area surrounding your furnace free of debris.